CALL US TODAY! (833) 850-8929

Madrid – Embassy & Visa

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona, and six Consular Agencies located in cities around Spain provide consular services to the approximately 1,000,000 American tourists that visit Spain each year and to the over 80,000 U.S. citizens who are residing in Spain.

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit is located at:

American Embassy
Calle Serrano 75
28006 Madrid
Telephone (34) 91 587 2240
Travel registration is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. Americans residing abroad can also get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Spanish Embassy
2375 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20037
(202) 452-0100

American citizens wanting to study, reside, or work in Spain must obtain the appropriate visa from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their state/country of last residence.  After the visa has been issued, foreigners have three months to apply for the corresponding permit with the Spanish authorities in Spain.  Obtaining a residence or work permit is a complicated process; since regulations change continually, we suggest that you write directly to the:

Spanish National Police
Calle Moratin, 43
28014 Madrid

You may also check the Ministry of Interior ‘s website, or call the Ministry of Interior, within Spain, toll-free at 900-15-00-00.  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also manages a website,