CALL US TODAY! (833) 850-8929

Buenos Aires – US Embassy & Visa

U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires
American Citizen Services
Av. Colombia 4300
C1425GMN Buenos Aires
54-11-5777-4293 (Fax)
After Hours Emergency Number: 54-11-5777-4873

Foreigners contracted to work in Argentina are required to obtain a work visa and legal residence in the country. Local regulations on immigration establish three types of residence: permanent, temporary and transitory. This permission is normally applied for directly by the contracting company or institution in Argentina.

If the company or institution that sends you to Argentina is not registered as a legal entity in Argentina, a ‘declaration’ from the authorities in the company’s or organization’s country of origin should be presented at the Argentine consulate as well as commercial references. Ask your local Argentine consulate for their requirements as these can differ from one country to another.

The requirements to apply for a work visa are:

  • Labor contract with the company or institution in Argentina
  • Birth certificate, translated into Spanish by a certified translator
  • Marital certification, translated into Spanish by a certified translator (if an application is being made for a spouse)
  • Passport with a minimum validity of 18 months remaining (for each family member)
  • 3 passport photo’s for each family member (4×4; preferably light blue background; ¾ profile right side)

The most common types of work visas are:

  • Article 29 (e) visas – This visa is a short term visa and is issued for short term work in Argentina. The initial validity is of 15 days and can be extended for another 15 days once in Argentina.
  • Article 15 (E) visa (Labor Contract – Temporary Residence Visa) – This visa is issued for employees and people on internships contracted by companies in Argentina. The minimum duration is 6-12 months. You will be treated as a local employee that means a CUIL has to be applied for as well. A formal labor contract between the company in Argentina and the employee is required in order to obtain the visa.
  • Article 15 (E) visa (Secondment – Temporary Residence Visa) under provision 18/94 – This visa is issued to employees send abroad by their company for at least 6-12 months. A labor contract is not required


  • Persons having a contract with an Argentinean company or institution also have to sign an employment agreement in the presence of the consul (there is usually a supplementary charge for this made by the consulate)
  • Persons sent to Argentina by foreign companies have to sign their labor agreement at the corresponding company.
  • Spouses and children of applicants of a temporary working permit that want a permit to live in Argentina have to show proof of the family ties. This can be done by means of a marriage certificate and/or birth certificates at an international form.

Once you (and any family members) arrive in Argentina, you (and each family member) must register with the Registro Nacional de las Personas in order to obtain a DNI (National Identity Document) Card. Applications must be submitted to the local “Registro” with jurisdiction over the area you are living in. In addition, you must apply for a CUIL (Social Security) Card in order to be assigned to the Argentine company’s payroll. The DNI and CUIL cards must be registered within 30 days of your arrival into Argentina.