CALL US TODAY! (833) 850-8929

Embassy & Visa

U.S. Embassy
Xiu Shui Bei Jie 3

Visa applications are no longer accepted by mail; you will have to apply in person at your nearest Chinese consulate or embassy, or have your travel agent or visa agent do it for you. There is an application fee, which varies depending on your citizenship and the number of entries into China. All visas are classified as single entry, double entry, or multiple entry. If you are in China on a single-entry visa but would like to leave the country temporarily (including visiting Hong Kong or Macau), you can have your visa entry type switched at your local Public Security Bureau (PSB) before you go. If you need to extend your visa or residence permit, the PSB will assist you.

Residency visas (D, J-1, X, Z) are only good for getting you into the country; you’ll need a residency permit to stay in the country. Each type of residency visa requires different paperwork. To get a Z visa (issued to those coming to China for employment), you’ll need to submit a Work Permit or a Foreign Expert’s License, obtained by the company in China you will be working for, and a letter of invitation from your employer, as well as the marriage certificate and birth certificates for accompanying spouse and children, respectively. Long-term-study X visas require an enrollment letter and educational application form from the Chinese school. Journalist visas (J-1 or J-2) require both a letter from an employer and a letter from the Foreign Affairs Office.

Residence Permits
The Chinese Residence Permit is a supplemental permission that allows you to reside in China longer than the duration of your initial visa. Whereas a visa permits you entry into China, it is the residence permit which allows you to live (reside) in China for the term of your work contract. The only way to obtain the residence permit is by submitting to resident permit formalities after you have arrived in China.

  • 1. Register with the local Public Security Bureau within 48-hours of your arrival
  • 2. Obtain a Supplemental Non-invasive Health examination (at provincial capital)
  • 3. Submit a Residence Permission Application Submitted (by your employer)
  • 4. Submit your original passport to have the residence permit affixed